Friday, January 27, 2012

Xin Nian Kuai Le!

Happy Year of the Dragon! I haven’t had the chance to write about Chinese New Year yet because I’ve been without internet for the past few days and I will explain about that later. So anyways, I can’t really tell you exactly what Chinese people do during what they call the “Spring Festival”, because they spend it with their families. Every person I’ve tried to ask about it simply says they get together with their family and have a big meal. So it sounds like Thanksgiving, for like 8 days. But I do know one other thing they do, and that’s set off firecrackers. On New Year’s Eve, you can hear firecrackers being set off all day long. Here’s a video of what we heard approximately every 10 minutes:


And then at night, instead of having one place in town where everyone gathers to see a fireworks display, fireworks are set off all over town. It was a little underwhelming where we were (hence no video) but I’ll bet it would have been spectacular in Shanghai or another giant city. It was weird, though, we went outside at midnight to see fireworks and nobody was around. The streets were completely empty. There were a few taxis on the road but pretty much no one else.

We didn’t have Smudgie with us because we got invited to go on a little vacation Monday-Thursday and our housekeeper agreed to puppysit. She didn’t think she’d be able to get a cab on Sunday so she picked him up Saturday. I’m sure he was a barky little thing during the firecrackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment